(Thank you to Sarah Davies for assistance with directions and screenshots for this resource.)
Using Nightscout with FreeStyle Libre
To use Nightscout with FreeStyle® Libre, you will need the following:
- A working FreeStyle Libre system
- A working Nightscout site
- An Android device that has NFC capability, or an iPhone
- The Glimp app (for Android) or Spike (for iOS)
To learn more about FreeStyle Libre, visit https://freestylediabetes.co.uk/our-products/freestyle-libre. For questions regarding using the FreeStyle Libre system, you may wish to join the Abbott Freestyle Libre users Facebook group.
Setting Up a Nightscout Site
If you already have an existing Nightscout site, skip this section and continue with Existing Nightscout Users below.
If you do not yet have a Nightscout site, you will need to create one.
Existing Nightscout Users
If you already have a working Nightscout site, please ensure the following before continuing:
- CarePortal is enabled in Heroku (or Azure).
- You have an API_SECRET set in Heroku (or Azure).
Uploading FreeStyle Libre Data to Nightscout
In order for a Nightscout site to have data, you must be uploading data from FreeStyle Libre to the cloud. If you are using Spike for this, follow the directions here to configure it.
Glimp is an Android app that can read FreeStyle Libre data (using your Android’s NFC capability) and upload it to Nightscout. To set up and configure Glimp to work with Nightscout, do the following:
- Download and install Glimp from the Google Play Store.
- Configure Glimp to work with your FreeStyle Libre system. Then configure the upload to Nightscout, as follows:
- In the Glimp app, select Menu by tapping the 3 dots in the top right. Select Options.
- Select Remote Glucose Monitoring.
- On the Remote Glucose Monitoring screen, enter your Nightscout URL.
- Enter your API SECRET. (Note: The API SECRET must match what you set in Azure or Heroku during the configuration of your Nightscout site.)
- Click the button to “test” the connection to your Nightscout site.
- If the test is successful, Glimp is now properly configured for use with Nightscout.
The following screenshot shows a Nightscout site (viewed through the iOS Nightscout viewer application) depicting FreeStyle Libre data: