“Help! My super cheap generic tablet from China isn’t working!” Troubleshooting Guide
So you ordered a cheap generic tablet and now it’s not working even though it should. You downloaded the Nightscout app and the Dexcom is charging, but there are no numbers on your tablet. What now? Assuming that it does have at least Android 4.0 (check under “about tablet” in settings for your OS) you can fix your firmware and be running in no time.
- You will probably need to fully charge your tablet before it works. When I tried to setup before it was nicely charged it kept shutting off.
- Make sure you have downloaded and installed the Nightscout app from http://install.nightscout.info
- Make sure the date and time are correct. My tablet came with what seemed like the correct time showing. However when I checked it turned out that although it had auto update from the network turned on it still thought it was in China. To get the correct time I needed to uncheck the auto setting and manually enter my correct date, time and time zone. Make sure to try to open the app one more time in case the time was your only problem.
- If you’re still not getting the app to grab the numbers from the Dexcom go to the Google Play Store. Download “USB host diagnostic”. The developer is Chainfire. There are similarly named apps. You want this exact app. Check the link here to see the screenshots you’re looking for to make sure you get the right app.
- Once you’ve downloaded it then open the app. Select “start diagnostic”. It will completely walk you through the process. When it asks you to connect a usb device you want to use your cables (use the otg cable the tablet came with and the micro usb cable you intend to use for your rig) and the Dexcom.
- It will tell you there seems to be a problem with your firmware that is inhibiting full otg capability. It will offer to fix it for you. Say yes. It will then quickly fix it. You may be prompted to restart, if so then just hit yes. Once everything is finished you should get a prompt asking you if you would like Nightscout to launch by default when this USB device is connected. Hit yes. And then you should be in business.
- Check your settings->developer options and make sure that you have the tablet set to never sleep when charging. That will keep your data flowing without interruption all night long.